The Mediterranean and middle eastern gift to the word, especially vegans! Before we get to the recipe, let me point some beautiful facts about hummus:
1. Hummus can cause fights - Iran restaurateurs will vouch over this that people fight who has a better hummus!
2. It is made on every continent in the world - People all over the globe consume hummus, although in different preparation styles.
3. It is crazy healthy - packed with proteins, carbs & fibre, it is low on fat!
A 100-gram serving provides:
Fat: 9.6 grams
Protein: 7.9 grams
Carbs: 14.3 grams
Fiber: 6.0 grams
Essential Vitamins & Minerals: Manganese, Copper,Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Iron, Zinc,Thiamin, Vitamin B6 & Potassium.
4. You don't have to eat it with just Pita - hummus can be paired with literally anything, Buns, Bread, Roti, Chips & Fries and Felafel of course! I usually use it as a dip for sauteé vegetables as well.
As a vegan superfood, it is easy to make and can be stored for a good 5-7 days if kept refrigerated. Hummus is easy to make as well, grab the following ingredients from the grocery:
1. Chickpeas - the base for hummus. The softened beans(post boiling) breakdown into a smooth paste
2. Tahini - a paste made from ground sesame seeds and it makes the hummus taste incredible
3. Fresh Lemon Juice
4. Fresh Garlic
5. Ground cumin and salt
6. Olive Oil
What's the perfect recipe?
Cook the Chickpea well and a pinch of baking soda.Once cooked, cook it by running through cold water
Then pour everything mentioned above in the grinder in the same format as listed! Haha yes, it's that easy.
Don't forget to drizzle with parsley and some olives. Enjoy with vinegar dipped cut radish, onions and bell pepper!